October 21, 2018
Watch Pastor Dale this week as we continue Love the 561. In this week’s message, Dale talks about the gift we’ve been given and how to re-gift it the right way. In this series we will be relating Gary Chapman’s the 5 Love Languages to how we can practically show Christ’s love to Palm Beach County, Fl.
- Fill in the blanks as your read Luke 10:27 aloud together.
“’Love the ____ your God with all your _____ and with all your ____ and with all your ________ and with all your _____’; and ‘____ your ________ as ________’.”
- In this sermon series, we are using Gary Chapman’s The Five Love Languages as a template to express five ways to show love within our community:
- Words of Affirmation
- Quality Time
- Receiving Gifts
- Acts of Service
- Physical Touch
Last week’s Love the 561 Challenge was related to becoming aware of our busyness as we examined Quality Time. We were asked to slow down and give someone in your circle your full undivided attention. How did you do? Share your experiences.
- Have you ever “re-gifted” a gift someone has given to you? Was the gift appreciated by its recipient? Why or why not?
- Read Galatians 5:6b
“The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love.”
Pastor Dale gave a few examples of individuals in our church that express their faith through love. Can you think of other ways that Community of Hope expresses faith through love?
5. What are some ways you might express your faith through love? How might your small group express your faith through love?
- Now read James 1:27
“Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless Is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.”
What thoughts do you have when you read this verse of scripture?
- Can a church and its people be used of God in such a way that homicide, divorce, substance abuse, suicide, children in foster care, and all these things that plague our society are actually Impacted? This is the challenge, or rather the movement, that our church is being presented with in this series. Share your thoughts on this.
- Author Richard Foster writes: “Superficiality is the curse of our age…” In what ways have we as a culture lost sight of depth and exchanged it for superficiality? In what ways have we traded deep wisdom for a breadth of information.
- In today’s culture, a large percentage of the population are unaffiliated, non-affiliated and disconnected. They say “We don’t know what we are…religiously, but we know what we’re NOT.” They are theologically apathetic. Pastor Dale notes “It’s not so much that atheism is particularly appealing, it’s that church and its people are so unappealing!” Pastor Dale referred to this segment of the population the ‘Nones’. Talk about why you think such a large percentage of people are ‘Nones’.
- How can we REALLY interest disinterested people in Jesus Christ? What do we have to offer the Nones?
‘Re-Gift’ the gift that’s been given to us – the gift of faith in Christ, and His gift of eternal life!
- Read Romans 6:23 “For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.” Billy shared how God’s Mercy is described as NOT getting what we deserve (the wages of sin is death) and God’s Grace is getting what we DON’T deserve!
Share how God has shown you mercy in your life, and share how He has shown you grace.
- Read 1 Peter 3:15 “But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect”
Talk about this verse of scripture in light of the idea of ‘Re-Gifting’ the gift of faith in Christ, and His gift of eternal life.
- Read John 3:16 “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.”
This week, consider how you would be prepared to give an answer to anyone who asks YOU to give the reason for the hope that you have!