Dr. E. Dale Locke and Rev. Trevor Johnston
Series: Love the 561
Week 2 – Cheap Talk?
PDF file for printing: 10-13&14-2018
- Continue working on the memory verse for this sermon series together as a group:
“’Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’; and ‘Love your neighbor as yourself’.”
- Last week, we heard that true faith is demonstrated by both vital piety and social holiness. Vital piety refers to a deep, personal devotion to Jesus Christ. That’s the first part of Luke 10:27 – Love God with all your heart, soul, strength and mind. Social holiness refers to practically living out your Christian faith in a way that brings positive change to our world. That’s the second part of Luke 10:27 – loving people in our world as much as we love ourselves.
Paul writes in Galatians 4:19:
My dear children, for whom I am again in the pains of childbirth until Christ is formed in you….
- What does the word “form” imply?
- What does it look like when Christ is being formed in someone’s life?
- What are some things that help us become more like Christ?
- Read Mark 3:13-15:
Jesus went up on a mountainside and called to him those he wanted, and they came to him. He appointed twelve that they might be with him and that he might send them out to preach and to have authority to drive out demons.
We see in Mark 3 that Jesus wants to be with us – that’s the vital piety side again. But he also wants to send us out into the community. What are some areas of need in our culture that you sense God might want to send you out to minister to?
- Gary Chapman’s book, The Five Love Languages describes the following five ways to show love:
- Words of Affirmation
- Quality Time
- Receiving Gifts
- Acts of Service
- Physical Touch
Last week we focused on “Word of Affirmation.” Our assignment was to speak words of affirmation to people we came across, whether at the grocery store, in our neighborhood, at work, or wherever we were – especially to people who might not know Jesus yet.
Share about your experiences with this assignment.
- Read Psalm 39:1-7:
I said, “I will watch my ways
and keep my tongue from sin;
I will put a muzzle on my mouth
while in the presence of the wicked.”
2 So I remained utterly silent,
not even saying anything good.
But my anguish increased;
3 my heart grew hot within me.
While I meditated, the fire burned;
then I spoke with my tongue:
4 “Show me, Lord, my life’s end
and the number of my days;
let me know how fleeting my life is.
5 You have made my days a mere handbreadth;
the span of my years is as nothing before you.
Everyone is but a breath,
even those who seem secure.[b]
6 “Surely everyone goes around like a mere phantom;
in vain they rush about, heaping up wealth
without knowing whose it will finally be.
7 “But now, Lord, what do I look for?
My hope is in you.
What do you notice in this passage? What questions come to your mind?
- Verses 1-3 focus on the power of our words. Why is it so challenging to keep our tongue from sin, especially in the presence of the wicked, that is, when we’re with people who don’t live in line with God’s will?
- This week, we’ll focus on the challenge of “quality time.” In verses 4-7, David warns us to be careful about busyness in our lives.
David’s three observations about busyness:
- My busyness distorts my perspective about life.
Think of your own life and how you think and act when you get really busy. How does busyness distort our perspective?
- My busyness destroys God’s image within me.
- If we’re not careful, we become like a mere phantom. (see verse 6). What does David mean by that expression “we become like a mere phantom”?
- My busyness diverts my attention from the place where real hope is found.
- What are some things in our culture that distract people’s attention away from God?
- Which of those things do you personally struggle with the most?
- How does busyness impact our ability to love our community with God’s love?
- This week’s challenge is to slow down and give someone in your circle your full undivided attention.
Why is this such a challenge for us today?
- If you’ve done this assignment, share with your group about your experience.
Post your story at #lovethe561