Pastor Trevor Johnston
Eric Stewart, Director of Student Ministries, West Campus
Sermon Series: The Exciting Church
Worships at a Table
1. Think about a time when worship was particularly impactful for you. What made it special? Share with your group.
2. Read John 4:19-24 19″Sir,” the woman said, “I can see that you are a prophet. 20Our ancestors worshiped on this mountain, but you Jews claim that the place where we must worship is in Jerusalem.” 22You Samaritans worship what you do not know; we worship what we do know, for salvation is from the Jews. 23Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in the Spirit and in truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks. 24God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in the Spirit and in truth.”
Jesus chose to talk to a Samaritan woman in Samaria about worship. Why do you suppose he did that? What are the implications of Jesus’ actions?
What Worship is NOT:
3. Worship is NOT about LOCATION.
John 4:21: 21″Woman,” Jesus replied, “believe me, a time is coming when you will worship the Father neither on this mountain nor in Jerusalem.”
Have you ever worshipped at a place that was not at a church? Share about it.
4. Worship is NOT about STYLE.
Have you ever attended a worship service that was very different than what you have been accustomed to? What was it like?
5. Worship is NOT about MUSIC.
a.) Do you agree with this statement? Why or why not?
b.) Describe any experiences you have of different kinds of worship music.
c.) Have you ever worshiped without music? What was that like?
6. Worship is NOT ABOUT ME.
How does this statement make you feel?
What Worship IS:
7. Read the following scriptures:
• John 4:23: 23Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in the Spirit and in truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks.
• 1 John 4:10: 10This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins.
• 1 John 4:19: “19We love because he first loved us.”
• Romans 5:8: “8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.”
Worship is a RESPONSE.
8. What is worship a response TO? Explain your response.
9. This is a quote from the book The Worship Architect by Constance Cherry
“God the Father seeks us. We don’t create worship; we don’t manufacture services. Rather, we respond to a Person. Effective worship is never the result of our efforts. Worship happens when we learn to say yes in ever-increasing ways to God’s invitation to encounter him.”
Talk about ways to worship that involve saying YES to God’s invitation to encounter him.
Worship is a RELATIONSHIP.
10. How do you know you are in a relationship with God? How would you describe it?
Eric and Trevor showed an ancient Icon of The Holy Trinity by Andrei Rublev. The Icon depicts the Father, Son and Holy Spirit sitting together at a table. There is an open spot at the table – for you.
Worship is a CHOICE.
11. Community of Hope’s Core Value # 5 states: Worship is a lifestyle, expressed in corporate celebration & personal devotion.
Discuss this Value and its implications for each of us, both as a community and individually.
12. Share at least one way you would fill in the blank in the statement:
“God, I worship you for ___________________________”