Rev. Trevor Johnston
Series: DDIY – Don’t Do It Yourself (Life is Better with Some Help)
Week 6: It’s Like Power Tools
Review: Who is the Holy Spirit?
- He is a person
- A member of the Trinity – God is three persons in One God
- He leads and guides us in our own personal relationship with God
If you have questions about the Holy Spirit, email them to [email protected] and Pastor Dale and Pastor Trevor will answer them and post the answers online.
Any great organization has a great mission statement. Jesus left His followers with a mission statement in Matthew 28:19-20:
Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”
- Based on this passage, what is the mission statement of the Church supposed to be?
The COH mission statement: We exist to interest disinterested people in Jesus Christ and grow together into fully devoted followers of Him.
- How does COH’s mission statement connect with the mission that Jesus gave to His followers?
Foundational Ideas for today’s message:
– Jesus’ mission is about people. If what we’re doing as a church is not about people, we’re off mission.
– Every Christian is called to be part of the mission, not just pastors.
- Have you ever seen a church that had lost sight of either of these two foundational ideas about what the Church is supposed to be? If so, what was that like?
In Acts 1:4-8 Jesus gave instructions of what His followers should do before we dive into doing His mission for the Church:
On one occasion, while he was eating with them, he gave them this command: “Do not leave Jerusalem, but wait for the gift my Father promised, which you have heard me speak about. 5 For John baptized with water, but in a few days you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit.” 6 Then they gathered around him and asked him, “Lord, are you at this time going to restore the kingdom to Israel?” 7 He said to them: “It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by his own authority. 8 But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.”
Jesus is saying here, “Don’t go anywhere without power. Wait until you have power from the Holy Spirit before you start working on the mission.” Jesus modeled this in His own ministry, waiting until God filled Him with the Holy Spirit’s power before He started His ministry. And others in the New Testament followed this pattern as well.
Power tools are a great illustration of this concept about the Holy Spirit. It’s not really that impressive that a person owns the power tools, it’s impressive to see what a person makes with those tools.
“Imagine visiting a town at night that appears to have no lights, no televisions—not even alarm clocks. And then imagine learning that the town’s power supply is virtually infinite, but that no one in the town had thought to turn any of their electrical appliances on. Wouldn’t that town seem like a silly place to you? Yet the Church is all too often like that town. God has given us the power of His Spirit to fulfill His mission in the world, yet few Christians have even begun to depend on His power.” Craig Keener
- The purpose of the Holy Spirit is to empower us for mission. Sometimes Christians can get caught up in just “having” the Holy Spirit, instead of focusing on what God gave us the Holy Spirit for. If you’ve seen this happen, describe that to the group.
How does the Holy Spirit empower the Church for its mission?
- With empowered Character and Service
Our character should display supernatural love that wouldn’t be possible without God’s power.
- Tell about a time you have seen this supernatural power for Christ-like character and service in the life of a Christian.
- Inspired Speech
This could be the Holy Spirit prompting you to say something that helps someone understand faith or it could be that He inspires to you say something very encouraging to someone else.
- Describe when you have seen this aspect of the Holy Spirit active in someone’s life.
- Guidance and Leadership
- What does Holy Spirit-inspired leadership look like? What qualities are in a leader who is being led by the Holy Spirit?
- Healing and Miracles
- The Holy Spirit still causes supernatural healing and other miracles today. Why do we so seldom see this in churches today?
- Describe some miraculous ways that the Holy Spirit has changed people you know or healed someone from something that was holding them in bondage.
Pastor Trevor encouraged us to:
Ask: Ask the Holy Spirit to use you to accomplish Jesus’ mission.
Listen: Then listen for Him to prompt you to do or say something.
Obey: Then obey His promptings and watch what He does.
- West Palm Beach is one of the most unchurched cities in the country. What are some things we at Community of Hope can do to help that change?